Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to his former role as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy, according to a police statement. Officers also carried out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk.
Authorities did not identify him by name in their announcement, but confirmed that a man in his sixties remains in custody. Mountbatten-Windsor turned 66 on the same day.
Police said they are working closely with partners as the investigation unfolds and emphasized the need to protect its integrity. They acknowledged the intense public interest and said further updates would be provided when appropriate.
Unmarked police vehicles were seen earlier outside the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, where Mountbatten-Windsor has been living since leaving his Windsor residence.
Allegations Tied to Time as Trade Envoy
The arrest follows reports that Mountbatten-Windsor may have shared sensitive documents with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as trade envoy.
According to reporting by the Financial Times, newly surfaced emails suggest he agreed to assist in discussions surrounding an $8 billion oil-for-cash arrangement involving foreign entities. The correspondence allegedly included exchanges with Epstein while he was under house arrest following his 2008 conviction for soliciting sex from a minor.
Craig Prescott, a constitutional expert at Royal Holloway, University of London, described the situation as an extraordinary collapse in reputation for a modern member of the royal family.
Former policing commentator Danny Shaw told the BBC that suspects are typically held for 12 to 24 hours before being charged or released under investigation. In exceptional circumstances, detention can be extended up to 96 hours with judicial approval. It remains unclear exactly when Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody.
Shaw added that he would be treated like any other suspect, held in a standard custody cell with basic facilities while awaiting interview.
Royal Household Responds
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was reviewing allegations of misconduct in public office involving the former prince.
The controversy prompted Charles III to express concern and state that Buckingham Palace stood ready to assist authorities with their assessment.
In October, Charles stripped Mountbatten-Windsor of his remaining royal titles and required him to vacate Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate. The decision followed years of scrutiny over his ties to Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor stepped back from royal duties in 2019 after a widely criticized television interview addressing his relationship with Epstein. He has consistently denied any criminal wrongdoing connected to the financier and has not been charged in relation to Epstein’s activities.
In 2022, he reached a financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who alleged he sexually abused her when she was 17. While no admission of liability was made, he expressed sympathy for her suffering as a victim of trafficking. The settlement amount was not publicly disclosed but was widely reported to be in the millions of pounds.
Mountbatten-Windsor previously said he did not recall meeting Giuffre, despite a photograph showing the two together alongside Ghislaine Maxwell.
Giuffre died by suicide in April at age 41 at her home in Western Australia. Her memoir, Nobody’s Girl, was published posthumously in October.
